The Wesleyan Missionary Society established its third Mission in Australia, after Africa in 1811 and Asia in 1814 (Colwell, 31). In response to appeals for missionaries from pious laymen and officials living in Sydney, the Society despatched Samuel Leigh to NSW. One appeal identified Sydney town as the principal station for missionary labour, then Parramatta and lastly Windsor and the Hawkesbury country (Colwell p38). On his arrival that year, Leigh visited Windsor, Portland Head, Ebenezer and Wilberforce in Hawkesbury country (Colwell 47). He preached in the cornshed at Portland Head. Presbyterians had already erected a building for a church and school-house named “Ebenezer”. (Colwell 71).