John Howe and Ben Singleton collaborate in an expedition commissioned by Governor Macquarie. After numerous failed attempts, they successfully reach the tidal limit of the Hunter River at Maitland (Wallis Plains). Their route becomes the first road north from Sydney. It opens officially as a road in 1823 and becomes known as The Bulga Road. It sets a route for travel from Windsor to the Hunter Valley, crossing through the heart of Darkinung country. Howe and Singleton’s success may be attributed to some extend to the skills and efforts of four members of the Richmond tribe who accompany the expedition: Mioram, Woolaboy, Jelmarey and “Lazy Jack”. Governor Macquarie rewards Mioram (“Myles”) with a breast plate and Howe promises that he can keep a musket. It is possible that “Myles” the outlaw became “Myles” the guide when Howe needed him, like when Hume needed Duall (Georges River people) before him. Duall was outlawed, transported and pardoned to become a guide when Throsby wanted him. (Ford p128-9).