One of the largest concentrations of Aboriginal people is around Sackville Reach. In 1889 the Minister of Lands proclaimed two reserves, one 150 acres on Cumberland Reach and the other of 30 acres on Kent Reach. The larger was then named the Sackville Reach Aborigines Reserve. Four slab huts were built on the reserve in the 1890s and a church-meeting room was opened in 1900. In 1901, 50 Aborigines were recorded as living there. (Nichols 5-6).