Describing La Perouse’s origins

Describing La Perouses' origins, a writer in the Sydney Morning Herald claims: “It has long been used as a halting place for Aborigines since Captain Cook’s time and probably before. But about 4 years ago [1879] George Timbery found the camp deserted and settled down there with his wife and family. He is joined by other families and now they form a little village. By this, it means the place seems to have become a permanent settlement."