Robert Pymble the elder related that members of a Koori clan periodically travel from Lane Cove River at a point near Burns Bay on the way to Cowan, ’by way of what is now known Cowan Road. They always break the journey and camp on Wright’s Hill, near the present reservoir at Pymble‘… He continued that the hill beyond the present situation is called by those campers ‘Turramurra’ or ‘Turraburra’ the word meant ‘big hill’. (‘Reminiscences of J G Edwards 1843-1927’, Evening News, July 1921)
George Angas, a wealthy Baptist philanthropist, visits the colony from Britain. He shows interest in Aborigines, especially the “singular and interesting remains of a people who are now nearly extinct”. Angas, with Police Superintendent Miles, examines in detail the “carvings in outline, cut into the surface of flat rocks … especially on the summits of the various promontories about the harbours of the coast”. He visits an Aboriginal camp near Camp Cove where “about a dozen natives of the Sydney and Broken Bay tribes were encamped”, and persuades ‘Old Queen Gooseberry’, Bungaree’s widow, to explain to him what she knew of the North Head carvings. She initially objects, saying that these places were ‘koradjee ground’ or ‘priests’ ground’ that she must not visit. After she was encouraged to row across the harbour with them in a whale boat, she “consented at the last to guide us to several spots near the North head, where she said the carvings existed in great numbers, as also impressions of hands upon the sides of high rocks”.