Richard Hill of the Aboriginal Protection Board recalls that the district of “Cammera” extended from the northern part of the harbour ”say from North head to Lane Cove River … right away north to the Hawkesbury and away east to the sea coast”. Daniel Southwell called the entire north shore Gom-ma-ree (Cammeray). Mr Hill would allow Koories to camp at his place in Mosman.
At a meeting of Manly Council on 10 June 1899, reference made to the naming of what has become known as Little Manly Point. Alderman Charles Tucker states that a letter from George Thornton, Chairman of the Aborigines Protection Board, suggested that this point of land should retain the original name by which it was known to the local tribe. This tribe was the remnant of a former large tribe, and its members regarded this point of land, on which were their “gibbah gunyahs”, as their living area. They knew it as ‘Kihimatta’, which in their local dialect meant a “sign of sleeping places”.
Death recorded of Aboriginal man: Norman at Gosford. (Register of Births, Deaths and Marriages, NSW)